Friday, November 4, 2011


2 Week check in:

Here are my totals 2 weeks post-op:

Weight 296.6
Average daily calorie intake: around 800
Average exercise: 30 min walking (every couple of days)
Weight loss this week: 4.0lbs
Total weight loss: 23.4lbs in 14 days

Well I have had good days and not so good days trying to find out what constitutes a meal for me. Because I have pushed my rehab I have been eating soft foods for most of the last week and finding that some things a best left alone or at least limited to just a couple of bites.

I had Chinese shrimp dumplings (3 of a typical order of 10)and some broth last Friday night and really got a good lesson in what not to combine. The dumplings began to dissolve and expand in my MUCH smaller stomach due to the amount of broth I had consumed with the dumplings. The outcome was less than stellar. I felt like a diet cock bottle in to which someone had just put a Mentos candy. If you are unfamiliar with the reaction check it out on YouTube. I manage to keep a lid on this reaction (for the most part) but really paid the price.

The second time this happened was eating fish tacos (fish being breaded) and drinking water with it; again, not a good outcome. I also found that my 4oz stomach was quite a bit smaller in volume than expected. I am finding that 2 or 2 ½ oz at a time of solid food seems to do well. It could simply be from residual swelling but the fact remains that I am eating LESS than 4oz at a time. It is also important to note that drinking with or immediately after and meal is bad juju.

I was out of class on Monday, Tuesday the other half of the class did their practical, Wednesday I did my practical and Friday was end of block clean up and written final so I really only had to eat at school for one night. However, that one night I was given a rack of lamb and a cart full of starch and vegies and came up with: a roasted Rack of Lamb split on to 4 identical plates with a country style roasted potatoes, red and yellow bell peppers and mushrooms served with a mint infused apple juice glaze and garnished with a birds nest of fried onions all in an hour…… Damn I am good…..

YES, I ate 3 bites of lamb with sauce, no water and I did fine.

When I got home (an hour later) I even did a little desert which 2oz was orange jello I had made last week using Sunny Delight instead of water then froze into a sorbet because it would not jell well with just OJ.

Overall it has been a good week with a steep learning curve. Coffee and stool softeners are still my good friends and I have high hopes of breaking 290# by thanksgiving.

I am going camping for the weekend, wish me luck…

No comments:

Post a Comment